Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Favorite Things Tuesdays: Post workout food, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad Recipe

Just thought I would drop in for an update. Carb Fuel Fridays is tentative this week because I have a cruical doctor's appointment.... I get to find out whether the blockage in my airways is caused by a thyroid swell (again...) or if I have asthma. Both would make a lot of sense, but nonetheless, I will have to miss practice on Friday for my appointment. I am, however, planning on making dinner tomorrow night (I'll be blogging about that, of course), and I will probably make something for the team on Thursday and drop it off in earlier in the morning. Depends on how I feel.
Today I'm heading to Bridge Street Town Centre to sample the new self-serve frozen yogurt bar, Orange Tree Frozen Yogurt. I'm a frequent visitor of Cefiore, a frozen yogurt place closer to my house. So it'll be nice to be able to have a place to go that is a tad bit closer to school. As an athlete, I love frozen yogurt. There is no doubt about it, it can be the best light fuel before and after a workout. Here some of my favorite things to eat after a hard workout to help me recover.

1.) Mt. Olive Hot and Spicy dill pickles- I often crave these suckers with crunchy peanut butter. No, I'm not pregnant. Your body craves things it needs to replace after a workout.... and vinegar is one of the best things for an athlete to ingest to reduce cramps. In case you didn't know, pickle juice is basically just vinegar that the pickles have been soaking in. That explains the kick... and why I love pickle juice and mustard so much!

2.) Luna Sport Recovery Smoothie- there are a few obvious reasons why I drink this stuff to recover from a tough workout. Aside from it being NCAA legal, which means I can ingest it without penalties on my eligibility, it's formulated specifically for women. It's low calorie too, only 120 calories per serving... but I mix it with milk and it's delicious. The strawberry banana flavor is good, but I like dark chocolate better.

3.) Frozen Yogurt- There are a lot of health benefits to eating frozen yogurt. The probiotics it contains helps keep you regular, helps women not get yeast infections, reduces inflammations and pain, and keeps bad bacteria from growing. But the reason why I like frozen yogurt after a workout has nothing to do with its health benefits... I mean I feel less guilty than going to get Ice cream of course, but frozen yogurt is just plain downright refreshing. Simple as that. It's wholesome and filling and I don't go home and do my usual after-workout binge afterwards.

4.) Mozzarella and Tomato Salad with Olive Oil and Basil-

Done Jessica's Way:

Ingredients:
1 medium sized tomato, very ripe
about 3 ounces bulk mozzarella, cut into 4 1/2 in thick slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons dried sweet basil

Wash tomato, cut into four slices horizontally. Lay slices flat on plate. Lay 1/2 in thick mozzarella slices on top of each tomato slice. Drizzle each slice evenly with olive oil, sprinkle with dried sweet basil, and voila! you've got the a tasty, perfect mix of protien, calcium, and carbs to help you recover from a workout.

Okay, so those are my top four after workout foods... tomorrow I'll be back with details of my wednesday night dinner, featuring a foolproof and easy recipe that makes for a beautiful presentation and a decadent meal... perfect for guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment